Drawing people face side view. This is a simple tutorial on how to draw people face side view, in this tutorial is a female profile.
*Step by step for this image and explaination continue below the drawing video tutorial.*
1) I start with an circle shape drawing (Same as the front), but this one I am going to draw a frontal shot.
2) Then I add a triangle shape in middle of the bottom to make a chin. But this time move the triangle all the way to the left (or right) *see arrow.
3) The I drew a horizontal to divide the circle in half. This horizontal line would be where humans eyes should be, they are usually right in the middle of the face horizontally. There is no need for vertical line because you already have the left edge of the outline of the circle + triangle and that’s where the nose and lips should line up in relation to the face. The I make the nose (bottom) mark and the mouth line. (The nose should be place half way in between the horizontal line and the bottom edge line of the circle. The mouth usually half way between the nose and chin.)
4) After I have all the important facial feature mark, I go in and tighten up the line drawing. When you draw the nose, just imagine drawing a triangle edge with curve in (convect) just a little bit or however you prefer it to look. Then the upper lip should be more outward or pronounce than the lower lip. Also connect the line from the bottom of the nose to the upper lips (make it a bit slope, not vertical)
5) At this stage I begin to draw hair line starting from her forehead. Then I added her neck in.
6) Continue the hairline to frame her face. Make it simple in big clumps of hair, simplify big clump of hair and don’t focus on individual hair itself (I might do a tutorial on this later.)
7) The top of the head should be additional half a circle tall, measure from the top of the existing circle. Then I continue to tighten up the line draw a bit more.
8) It looks fin, then I clean up the construction lines. Done!
If you are using reference, you must have good reference. You have to make sure your face reference has strong light and shadow. Most portrait drawings I have seen have weak lighting to none. That is because of the reference you have is from a camera using flash. Flash makes everything flatter.
So look for reference that have hard light, strong contrast and great shadow area. Once you find good reference, your job is half way done. You have to first identify the strong shadow area first. Once you locate the shapes of shadow, then you can start sketching. Make sure you separate the area of light and shadow. If you understand all that, your portrait will turn out well.
If you aren’t using the reference, you can just follow along the video tutorial. You will be fine.
More video tutorials you might be interested in
-How to draw a nose
-How to draw lips
-How to draw hair