Photoshop painting tips, 5 ways to find darker color or shadow. Value or lightness varies vertically along the color solid, from black (value 0) at the bottom, to white (value 10) at the top. Neutral grays lie along the vertical axis between black and white.
Decide what is in light and what is in shadow and don’t mix them up. Two values, but if they are well thought out and designed and drawn they can look totally real.
There are five ways.
1) Turn the brightness (B) down toward dark from whatever color you are using. Make sure you are using HSB sliders on color, not RGB or CMYK.
2) Make a new layer on Multiply mode, then you can select the base color to paint. When you paint on multiply mode with the base color you have, it will automatically get darker. With multiply you will get darker and richer color than method one. Though you will have to choose the right opacity, probably in between 30-50%. See more tip on multiply in full article at Photoshop painting tutorial multiply mode
3) Make a new layer on Overlay mode, then pick black or dark gray to paint with. Overlay will automatically blend your dark with saturation on your base color. It is slightly different than multiply mode. Go read article about overlay in detail at Photoshop painting tutorial overlay mode.
4) Make a new normal layer, they you can pick black (with or without saturation turn all the way for the base color) and paint with 30%-50% opacity. You will get a darker value, but it could give you a dull effect. But if mute color is what you are looking for, this is the way.
5) Use “multiply” or “overlay” in brush mode itself. Then you can paint with it and get darker value. Follow step 2 and step 3 for detail and effect you will get with them.
Here is a video demonstrates what I just explain above.
Here is an image of a female character from the video after I paint and experiment with darker value for a little while.
More painting tip and technique tutorials.
-Three important rules for Painting
-Photoshop painting tutorial achieving painterly effect
-How to paint metal