How to paint gold armor

How to paint gold digital painting tutorial. Art tutorial, draw and paint gold color armor digital illustration photoshop concept art. Learn to draw render and paint gold color Armor digital illustration free step by step and video online tutorial for comic manga, anime, and illustration sketch.
Step by step and video how to render metallic gold reflective surface and quick mark up background. Drawing and rendering technique for creating metal texture surface for character armor. The process shows from basic sketching to finish drawing quick character concept design. The video demonstrates and narrates how to quickly create an efficient sketch for character drawing into visual. The video shows you how to put together your concept idea onto visual character concept art. This tutorial process is very similar to the previous tutorial we did on How to paint metal. Painting is basically using light vs shadow and your good observation skill all together to understand how the material work before you start the actual painting.

Here is a knight in gold armor final color sketch.

gold armor concept art sketch

gold armor concept art sketch

Watch the video tutorial how to paint gold armor.

download photoshop brushes

Below are step by step images showing you how to paint along with the video tutorial.  Step one, like usual I start off drawing out basic figure.  This time it is a knight armor in natural pose.  Step two, I then paint in the base color which I will us dark gray for now.  Also I assign some very basic shadow onto the armor.  Step three, I then increase the contrast of each part of the armor using light gray to almost white paint.  Then I paint over the existing image using overlay or color layer with yellow or yellow toward green hue.  Step five, now I add more light and shadow.  Then I decide to paint in some warm orange light in the bottom using soft brush.  Step six, I add some warm orange light onto the armor as under lighting, then adjust some of the value.  Then it is done!  Watch the video tutorial for more descriptive in dept instruction on how to paint gold armor.

how to paint gold armor

how to paint gold armor

gold armor concept art sketch

gold armor concept art sketch

More painting tutorials
-How to paint Assassin Creed Ezio Auditore
-How to paint landscape mountains river
-How to paint folds and wrinkles on cloth

About Xia Taptara

Xia Taptara (黃曉聲 Huang XiaoShēng), currently a freelance concept artist for games and films, formerly a character concept artist for ArenaNet/NCsoft (GuildWars & Guildwars 2). I also work on various projects for Game of Thrones, Square-Enix, Paizo Publishing, Fantasy Fight Games, Disney Interactive, and many publishers & clients. I use Wacom Tablet Intuos and Photoshop CS2,3,4,5 to do most of my professional art work. I use pencil, pen, and traditional medium in my free time. I founded ( in 2007 to motivate myself to create more and better art. Also I get to draw and paint whatever the hell I want to. Hopefully I can inspired some young soul and old soul alike. *QUESTIONS & COMMENT: PLEASE POST THEM ON THE BLOG. Or CONTACT ME via idrawgirls Facebook page. DO NOT E-MAIL ME. Thank you. ;-)
This entry was posted in Armor, Painting tutorials. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How to paint gold armor

1. ev91 says:

there are classes/schools for conceptart

*tad media/the art department – also teaches fundamentals
    *rydan workshop
    *futurepoly – also has a physical location
    *computertrainingacademy. co. uk

online fundametnals
    *vilppu academy
    *sessions college

if you live in california
    *concept design academy
    *red engine stuios
    *gnomon school
    *kazone art academy

fundamentals in califorinia
    *korpus school of aart

2. ev91 says:

or you could also just get you a few good books and put in at least 30-40 hours a week practice drawing fundamentals – anatomy human/animal, light and form, compostion, perspective etc

and practice drawing half from life/reference and half from imagination

3. Xia Taptara says:

I took some animation courses, but ended up teaching myself how to paint and learn from my art directors and co-workers. There is no course for being a concept artist as far as I know. The closest things to that is industrial design. Start with painting from life using light and shadow.

4. gunther says:

What courses have you taken? I’m planning to game program but I need to armory stuffs, should I start from swords?

5. Xia Taptara says:

Brushes, everyone is asking for brushes. Make sure your pen is pressure sensitive, that is all there is to it.
    Fancy brushes won’t make your art any better than it already is.
    You have to FOCUS on the value (light and dark). Once you nailed it, no matter what brushes you use…the piece will be good.
    Tips on Brushes is you have to understand edges. 1,000 brushes can only produce 3 kind of edges. Hard, soft and lost… no matter how many brushes there is still only 3 edges. Don’t know if you get it now but if you keep painting for years then you will.
    HERE DOWNLOAD brushes:

I can just use default round, hard and soft to paint, as shown below.

More tips
    here is how to set it up
    3 rules of Painting

Color vs Value
    Value Exercise

Look around on the right column of the blog, you should be able to find some key tips you can utilize.

Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, then more free videos will come

6. T Lockz says:

hi im new to photoshop can you tell me what brushish

7. Xia Taptara says:

I do have to think about light and shadow. I just been doing it professionally for a long time that is all. 😉

8. Idsjandjqtdj says:

I’m speechless. You really know how to draw. It looks like you paint almost without thinking but somehow it turns out great. Thanks for awsome tutorial!

9. Liam Maldoni says:

Awesome tutorial. Going to attempt this again for the second time and compare the results with my fist try (which wasn’t that good) to see if I have improved!

10. Xia Taptara says:

You can look around the blog for all the information you seek. Though First, take your time in drawing and painting. Know what you want to achieve.
    Read all of them carefully.
    Focus on value when painting

I use a few layers at the time then I merge them all. Focus on value (light and dark). Be honest and trust your eye because your brain will tell you otherwise. Draw what you see, not what you think the object should look like.

Color read this:
    Using Overlay

here is how to set it up

3 rules of Painting

Color vs Value
    Value Exercise

How to improve your drawing 5 steps:

Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, then more free videos will come

11. Hey man that’s pretty cool. I have been into this digital drawing for about 5 months (no resting) and I got some questions about light placement mostly so I would like to know when to use a lighter tone and when to use white. Same thing with shading. Hope you can help me!

12. Danar says: