How to draw lips

How to draw lips (mouth): girls, women, ladies. Step-by-step guide to drawing realistic lips. This easy to follow tutorial will show you how to draw a mouth, upper lip and lower lip, and how to shade with a traditional pencil.

There have been many requests for this, so here we go!

I don’t usually study individual parts of the body, but it’s good to really observe how lips are placed, formed and behave. I usually place them depending on the context. Remember, when you put the individual piece in different contexts, things change. For example, if lighting comes in to play, you will have to paint or draw according to the light source and what you really see (shape and form), not what you think you know about lips.

drawing lips

drawing lips

Watch and learn from this video tutorial on how to draw lips.

In some contexts, the mouth and lips may no longer look like what you imagine they would; you will just have to illustrate what you really see and try to capture the shape and value, instead of trying to draw a mouth or lips. This tutorial on lips assumes the light is coming from directly above and in front of her face. If the light changes direction, the lips should be drawn and rendered differently. However, don’t worry about that this time; after all, this is just a basic study tutorial. Have fun!

Since you aren’t just going to be drawing lips alone, I suggest you watch the video below
Basic face drawing part 1 proportion

Drawing portrait Part 3 what to shade shadow and what are planes of face.

Learn to Draw Face Portrait Shading and render sample video tutorial.

Below are step by step images how to draw lips to go along with the drawing video tutorial:

how to draw lips

how to draw lips

Support our website to keep all the FREE video tutorials coming. Download premium tutorials if you want more detail how to draw complete portraits from start structure to finished.  I recommend getting these two premium tutorials on portraits drawing.  These tutorials help many artists.  If you are serious, either one will get you start and well beyond basic drawing or digital painting.  Each video tutorial are more than two hours long with in dept instruction. If you aren’t happy with the purchases, we will give you full refund. Click the images below for more detail.
Learn to draw female portraitsLearn to draw and shade portraits (digital)
what our customer are saying

More portrait drawing tutorials
-How to draw female face
-How to draw a man face comics
-How to draw eye
-How to draw nose

Edited by Alfred Leung ninjaedit.com

About Xia Taptara

Xia Taptara (黃曉聲 Huang XiaoShēng), currently a freelance concept artist for games and films, formerly a character concept artist for ArenaNet/NCsoft (GuildWars & Guildwars 2). I also work on various projects for Game of Thrones, Square-Enix, Paizo Publishing, Fantasy Fight Games, Disney Interactive, and many publishers & clients. I use Wacom Tablet Intuos and Photoshop CS2,3,4,5 to do most of my professional art work. I use pencil, pen, and traditional medium in my free time. I founded IdrawGirls.com (TheArtClasses.com) in 2007 to motivate myself to create more and better art. Also I get to draw and paint whatever the hell I want to. Hopefully I can inspired some young soul and old soul alike. *QUESTIONS & COMMENT: PLEASE POST THEM ON THE BLOG. Or CONTACT ME via idrawgirls Facebook page. DO NOT E-MAIL ME. Thank you. ;-)
This entry was posted in Draw face, Draw lips, Drawing tutorials and tagged faces, lips, mouth. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to How to draw lips

1. Synthia Valdez says:

oh thanks so much!! it was easy and realistic!(:

2. Xia Taptara says:

No problem, glad it helps. 😉

3. Mi3 says:

not realistic enough

4. Riju says:

It helped me a lot! It look very attractive!

5. SJMinnehan says:

Thanks for the help, omg I find them so difficult to draw. Your instructions were great.

6. Lovlybae says:

your tutorials are amazing but the way they show up and the shading of the lips are kinda hard to understand how you got from one point to the next point

7. Xia Taptara says:

Sounds like you are really new to shading. Keep practicing more and more. It could also be useful to watch the video multiple times. thx

8. Myah says:

This…. was such an amazing tutorial!
    JUST what I needed for my project!
    Thank you for making this!

9. Xia Taptara says:

No problem, glade it helps.

10. Diana says:

t’s really easy

11. I want it in slow motion or words!!!!

12. metal says:

You inspire me man! I really like digital art but I’m really bad at it. Can you give me some advice to get better? Like should I just draw after you or something? Thanks man

13. Xia Taptara says:

First, take your time in drawing and painting. Know what you want to achieve.
    Read all of them carefully.
    Focus on value when painting

I use a few layers at the time then I merge them all. Focus on value (light and dark). Be honest and trust your eye because your brain will tell you otherwise. Draw what you see, not what you think the object should look like.

Palette

Color read this:
    Using Overlay

here is how to set it up
    Opacity

3 rules of Painting

Color vs Value
    Value Exercise

How to improve your drawing 5 steps:

14. Gustavo says:

Thanks Xia.

15. ElmSun295 says:

These tuts have helped so much! These video tuts are awesome and EPIC. I have just one question. Every time I do a portrait or something of someone or myself ( I take a photo and that’s my subject for my portrait), my face turns out realistic( sort of, I guess) but sooooo not like the subject I chose. Can you tell me why this is?
    Thanks

16. Poptropica27 says:

glad

17. Xia Taptara says:

It’s most likely distance between the eyes or eye to nose, subtle shape of the nose. Little mistake changes everything in likeness. Go watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aykwcNdj24E&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL6A2AB90CADEACA53

18. Kingsley George says:

Sir.I follow all your tuts. Could you make some tuts for NEGROID features as I want to put my painting into context of where I live. SEYCHELLES

19. Hassan says:

Skinned fkz fbdlavslvrnfpur Torbay tlt fling.abd flab

20. Alyssa Mullis says:

this is really helpful! thanks! they are amazing!

21. Xia Taptara says:

Thank you kindly mademoiselle.