How to paint master chief Halo

How to paint master chief Halo digital painting tutorial using Photoshop. Here is another how to draw and paint character from video games. A lot of people ask me if Wacom tablet Intuo series with Photoshop is good for drawing on a computer. To me, naturally drawing is still better with pencil and paper. Wacom tablet and Photoshop or Painter is a great tool but still lack of the precision compare to sharp pointy pencil (If you are looking for a drawing). You can draw with your Wacom as a starting point, but the best thing about Wacom tablet is not in drawing but in rendering (shading) and painting (apply color and value), in short, finish up your illustration. So there is my two cents for Wacom. I still love drawing with pencil whenever I get a chance. In this tutorial, I use Photoshop CS5 and Wacom tablet Intuo as a painting tool.
Here in this tutorial post we have Master chief from Halo video and step by step. It is long over due. I meant to speed painting the character long time ago, but I didn’t feel like it until now. icon wink How to paint master chief Halo
As I mentioned earlier about Wacom. If you take a look at all my painting process, you will find that I use line draw as a starting point. Like in this tutorial, in the first step, you can really see the rough sketch, not so much of a drawing. Even though the sketch is really rough but it’s the line economy and all these lines give me enough reference point to move on to the next step. Remember, you don’t need to draw everything, just enough reference point for you to go on to the next stepping stone.
Then I use the sketch to form shapes (see step 2). In painting, correct drawing and correct shape is very important. You have to get it as accurate as you can before go on to the next step because it is the very foundation of your painting. Get it wrong, you might have to start drawing it over.
After shapes, I then try to apply value. In this tutorial, it is a study of a screenshot so I know exactly where to put my dark, mid and light. Because of study like this one, if you do a lot of painting study exercise, you will know what to do when it comes to your own concept art. When you paint your non-existing subject from your own idea, you borrow all the knowledge that store in your brain. Without knowing how to paint real life person, portrait, etc, you won’t be able to create concept art from scratch. Anyway, below are the video tutorial of how to paint Master chief from Halo and step by step drawing along images.

About Master chief: The Master Chief is one of the most visible symbols of the Halo series. Originally designed by Bungie artists including Marcus Lehto, Rob McLees, and Shi Kai Wang, the character is a towering and faceless cybernetically-enhanced supersoldier; he is never seen without his green-colored armor or helmet. Downes built his personification of the Chief off a character description which called for a Clint Eastwood-type character of few words.
Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 is a fictional character and protagonist of the Halo fictional universe, created by Bungie. Master Chief is a player character in the trilogy of science fiction first-person shooter video games Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3 and will appear in the upcoming Halo 4. Outside of video games, the character appears in novels – Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: The Flood, Halo: First Strike, and Halo: Uprising – and has cameos in other Halo media, including Halo: Reach, Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, The Halo Graphic Novel and Halo Legends. He is voiced by Chicago disc jockey Steve Downes in the video games in which he appears.

Here is a final speed painting of Master Chief

master chief painting tutorial How to paint master chief Halo

how to paint master chief Halo

Watch a Digital painting video tutorial of Master Chief from Halo

free e book mini How to paint master chief Halo

Additional step by step how to draw and paint images painting Master Chief tutorial.

how to draw master chief halo How to paint master chief Halo

how to draw master chief Halo

Here is a final speed painting of Master Chief

master chief painting tutorial How to paint master chief Halo

how to paint master chief Halo

FREE download, 30 minutes of Video tutorials.
free manga tutorials How to paint master chief Halo

Or watch my full video tutorial process with all the detail explained below
– Character design tutorial Knight concept art.
– Character design tutorial Warrior concept art.
– Advance digital painting tutorial.
– Illustration technique 1.

I hope you enjoy the tutorials. Peace!

PinExt How to paint master chief Halotumblr How to paint master chief Halo

About Xia Taptara

Xia Taptara (黃曉聲 Huang XiaoShēng), currently a freelance concept artist for games and films, formerly a character concept artist for ArenaNet/NCsoft (GuildWars & Guildwars 2). I also work on various projects for Game of Thrones, Square-Enix, Paizo Publishing, Fantasy Fight Games, Disney Interactive, and many publishers & clients. I use Wacom Tablet Intuos and Photoshop CS2,3,4,5 to do most of my professional art work. I use pencil, pen, and traditional medium in my free time. I founded IdrawGirls.com (TheArtClasses.com) in 2007 to motivate myself to create more and better art. Also I get to draw and paint whatever the hell I want to. Hopefully I can inspired some young soul and old soul alike. *QUESTIONS & COMMENT: PLEASE POST THEM ON THE BLOG. Or CONTACT ME via idrawgirls Facebook page. DO NOT E-MAIL ME. Thank you. ;-)
This entry was posted in Halo, Paint characters, Paint Mecha, Painting tutorials and tagged halo, mater chief. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to How to paint master chief Halo

1. jokayo says:

yay finaly I saw you , I thought you were german ! its really nice to see u after a long time of just hearing you talking ,:)

2. Xia Taptara says:

LOL, I showed up once in a while. Cheers! ;-)

3. Xia Taptara says:

1) The link banner to brushes is right under the video
    2) on top of the right column
    3) Underneath the menu
    4) More special brushes also come with Premium tutorials.

Peace!

4. Reinis says:

You know,it’s kinda sad. I am trying as best as i can and i rely like to draw. But i am starting to think,that drawing is not for me. All my drawings looks like crap :/

5. Xia Taptara says:

It’s not sad. I am not drawing or painting because I am good at it. I am doing it because it makes me happy. I also like learning new tips and technique on drawing and painting. And the more I do the better I get. Progression is what counts, it’s not a one time thing. If you love it, you can’t quit.
    Enjoy the process, learn and practice more. You cannot jump from 30 to 100 in one move, but you can go from 30 to 31 or 35 in one move.
    Peace!

6. Pedro says:

That was awesome!
    I love how you use Dodge to define different kind of materials

7. giafl says:

halo 4 is about to come out when i get my xbox i’ll draw this pic and tape it to my xbox

8. moh says:

did you go to art school…and if so what did you take and for how long etc… any info on that would help me out allot I would love to do what you do. I am currently taking a foundations in art and design course at college it’s very basic but can be challenging

Thanks

9. Xia Taptara says:

No, I went to business school. But pick ID course from Art Center in CA or any well known art school. You will be ok.

10. Jay says:

Hey, Good to see someone providing so many useful tutorials in Youtube with VO, which really solved many questions encountered when i use Photoshop to draw and paint, the tutorials are really amazing and btw, my name’s 黃曉傑, haha~
    I’m a fresh grad from HK

11. Hemabh Deka says:

can u plz mention the brush settings..n also mixer brush settings :)

12. Xia Taptara says:

DEFAULT. Don’t focus so much on brushes. If you cannot paint anything with default round and make it look good, then fancy brushes wont’ help. In fact, it is a lot harder to implement because of its property (textures, effect). Practice with default, once you are there, you can effectively use the brushes.
    For tablet setting, I use default setting most of the time. Don’t worry so much about that, very minor stuff. Just make sure your pen is pressure sensitive, that is all there is to it.
    Fancy brushes won’t make your art any better than it already is.
    You have to FOCUS on the value (light and dark). Once you nailed it, no matter what brushes you use…the piece will be good.
    Tips on Brushes is you have to understand edges. 1,000 brushes can only produce 3 kind of edges. Hard, soft and lost… no matter how many brushes there is still only 3 edges. Don’t know if you get it now but if you keep painting for years then you will.
    HERE DOWNLOAD brushes:

I can just use default round, hard and soft to paint, as shown below.

Edges
    Looseness

More tips
    here is how to set it up
    Opacity
    3 rules of Painting

Color vs Value
    Value Exercise

Look around on the right column of the blog, you should be able to find some key tips you can utilize.

13. r.yl says:

Hey sir, I really like your tutorials and arts so I started to try to make something. I will be extremely glad if you can spare sometimes to comment and give me some advices on it. Here is the link http://fav.me/d5xc7sn . Thanks

14. Gengar says:

Hi Xia, i’m in the middle of Digital painting training and i sucks pretty badly when it comes to coloring, can u please help me with the brush settings or color layer settings, i would really appreciate it :D

15. Xia Taptara says:

Most of the time I will just use default the same as your setting, why would you think I did anything different.

Fancy brushes won’t make your art any better than it already is.
    HERE DOWNLOAD brushes:

I can just use default round, hard and soft to paint, as shown below.

Edges
    Looseness

More tips
    here is how to set it up
    Opacity
    3 rules of Painting

Color vs Value
    Value Exercise

16. Gengar says:

oh thank you so much, i think the problem with my painting is the ability to imagine the dimensional shapes – i think improper value leads to this coz when looking at some of my painting most of the guys said it looks flat and hard to find out where the light comes from.

17. Xia Taptara says:

No problem. Tips: Keep it simple.

18. maddie says:

you’re awesome<3 :3

19. Xia Taptara says:

Practice from ref also go outside to draw or paint landscape.

20. Crumpets_And_Tea says:

What brush are you using to sketch!?